The ERA is responsible for:
- issuing water service licences to entities supplying potable water, non-potable water, sewerage, irrigation and drainage services that are not exempt from the requirement to hold a licence
- approving financial hardship policies and the review and amendment of the Water Services Code of Conduct (Customer Service Standards) 2013
- monitoring and reporting to the Minister for Water on the operation of the licensing scheme, and compliance by licensees with their licence by arranging for regular operational audits and asset management system reviews
- overseeing customer protection requirements encompassing billing, payment and debt collection, financial hardship, complaints and information obligations and
- monitoring the performance of water licensees through the annual collection of performance data, which is also used to prepare reports on the performance of water, sewerage and irrigation service providers.
In processing licence applications and amendments, the ERA sets minimum service and performance standards to safeguard the longer term interests of consumers and the management of assets.