There is a legal requirement to obtain a gas licence if you intend to:
- construct a distribution system and transport gas through the system
- transport gas through an existing distribution system, and if required for that purpose to make alterations to the system, and to operate and maintain the system
- sell to small use customers gas transported through a distribution system.
The requirement for a gas licence is established by the Energy Coordination Act 1994.
If you wish to apply for a licence, please refer to our Licence Application Guideline and contact us.
Activities that do not require a gas licence
Activities that fall outside of the scope of the law include:
- Sale of gas to a person who consumes more than 1TJ (large use customers)
- Sale of gas by means other than reticulation such as bottled gas.
Exemptions from holding a gas licence
A person, or a class of persons, may be exempted from the requirement to hold a gas licence. For further information on the types of activities that may be eligible for an exemption application contact the Public Utilities Office.