Skip to content

Concessions and assistance

The WA Government provides concessions and rebates to eligible electricity customers supplied by Synergy or Horizon Power.

Eligible customers Subsidy/rebate
  • Centrelink Health Care Card
  • Pensioner Concession Card (issued by Centrelink or the Department of Veterans' Affairs)
  • Department of Veterans’ Affairs Gold Card (War Widow, Dependant, Totally and Permanently Incapacitated)
  • Account establishment fee rebate
  • Reduced meter test fee
  • Dependent child rebate
  • Energy assistance payment

Other concessions and rebates available are:

  • Air Conditioner Rebate: assists eligible seniors and customers receiving the dependent child rebate with the cost of using air conditioners in the hottest parts of WA.
  • Life Support Equipment Electricity Subsidy: assists eligible customers with the cost of using life support equipment at home.
  • Thermoregulatory Dysfunction Energy Subsidy: assists eligible customers with the energy costs of using heating and/ or cooling equipment at home.

The Energy Concession Extension Scheme provides annual payments to some customers who are not directly supplied by Synergy or Horizon Power. These include eligible permanent caravan and park home residents, and residents of retirement villages and apartment buildings. The payments include the Energy Assistance Payment, the Dependent Child Rebate and the Air Conditioning Rebate. For more information about the Energy Concession Extension Scheme contact the Office of State Revenue.

For more information about concessions and rebates, contact your retailer or Energy Policy WA.

Payment assistance and financial hardship

If you are a residential customer having trouble paying your energy bills, your retailer must provide certain assistance.

If you are unable to pay due to financial hardship, your retailer must offer additional forms of assistance. Your financial hardship will be assessed before you can access this assistance.

You are deemed to be in financial hardship if you are experiencing a state of long-term disadvantage and cannot pay without affecting your ability or the ability of a dependant to meet basic living needs, such as rent and food.

In assessing your situation, the retailer must consider information provided by yourself or a relevant consumer representative.

Retailers must make the following forms of payment assistance available to customers, regardless of financial situation. You do not need to complete an assessment to access these forms of assistance.


  • additional time to pay a bill
  • a payment plan for the amount owing, payment plans must be interest and fee free

You may utilise one of these options once per bill. If you fail to pay 2 bills within additional time provided in a 12 month period, your ability to access this form of assistance will become restricted. 

If your retailer determines you are experiencing financial hardship, it must:

  • provide you with information on help available (e.g. concessions, subsidies); and
  • consider any request from you for a reduction in fees, charges or debt and a change in the payment arrangements (e.g. more time to pay, or changes to the instalment plan). They must also advise you on different types of tariffs that may be available, financial counselling services, consumer representatives and the availability of any other financial assistance they offer.

If you are found to not be experiencing financial hardship, you will not be entitled to any additional forms of assistance. You'll still be able to access the payment assistance outlined above. The retailer’s normal disconnection and debt recovery procedures will apply.

A business customer can ask for alternative payment arrangements (e.g. an instalment plan) if having payment difficulties.

If you are having difficulties paying a bill, contact your retailer as soon as possible to seek assistance. Your retailer may be able to help.

Financial counsellors and consumer advocates

Financial counsellors and consumer advocates can help you negotiate with your electricity or gas retailer. They can also contact your retailer to discuss your situation, if you give your consent.

Financial counsellors and consumer advocates are often employed by local community organisations and sometimes by local councils. To find one close to where you live, contact your local community legal centre or phone the Financial Counsellors’ Association of WA on 1800 007 007.

Assistance for paying energy bills

If you are at risk of disconnection due to financial hardship, you may be eligible for assistance under the WA Government’s Hardship Utility Grant Scheme (HUGS).

A grant can be provided for up to 85% of the outstanding amount. The maximum amount that you can receive in a calendar year is $640 if you live south of the 26th parallel (south of Denham) or $1,060 if you live north of the 26th parallel (north of and including Denham).

To apply you must contact your retailer.

Page last updated: 08 May 2024