Practical deregulation of the retail gas market in Western Australia occurred on 31 May 2004. The Western Australian Government introduced a number of new mechanisms to protect small use customers in the new retail gas market. These included:
- the Gas Industry Ombudsman Scheme
- the Gas Marketing Code of Conduct
- regulations for standard form and non standard contracts
- regulations to establish supplier of last resort arrangements
- a gas retail market scheme to enable small use customers to be able to change their gas retailer whenever they wish.
The ERA assumed responsibility for the administration of these mechanisms when they were introduced, and was required to undertake a review of the effectiveness of the Gas Retail Market Scheme after the third anniversary of the commencement date. The review began in 2007 and was completed in 2008.