Skip to content

Do you need a licence?

There is a legal requirement to obtain a water licence if you intend to provide:

  • water supply services for potable and non-potable water;
  • Sewerage service;
  • Irrigation service (for irrigation for agriculture or pasture); or
  • Drainage service (management of stormwater, groundwater, surface water or soil salinity, which may include managing the quality of the water).

The requirement for a water licence is established by the Water Services Act 2012.

If you wish to apply for a licence, please refer to our Licence Application Guideline and contact us.

Activities that do not require a water licence

Activities that fall outside of the scope of the law include:

  • Self-supply of water services;
  • Sale of water by means of other water services works such as transporting water or sewage by cart, truck or tanker; and
  • Where a person is simply an intermediary through whom the service is actually provided by a third party (e.g. a shopping centre where water is delivered to individual tenants)

Exemptions from holding a water licence

A person may be exempted from the requirement to hold a water licence. For further information on the types of activities that may be eligible for an exemption application contact the Department of Water.